Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 35-45 minutes
For the Vegan Pesto:
- 40g Basil
- 60g Pine nuts / walnuts
- 2 Garlic cloves
- 125ml olive oil
- Pinch of salt or more to taste
- Tablespoon of lemon juice
- 4-5 tablespoons nutritional yeast
For the salad:
- 180g pearl barley
- 300g cherry vine tomatoes
- 400g Chick peas
- 2 Tablespoons of seed mix.
- 1 head of garlic
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- Pinch of Salt
- Rinse the pearl barley then put into pan and cover with water. Bring the barley to a boil, cover and simmer for 45 minutes. Drain the excess water and set aside.
- While the barley is cooking preheat the oven to 180 degrees. Put the cherry tomatoes and head of garlic, cut side down in a small roasting dish then cover with olive oil and season with salt. Roast for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the vegan pesto. Place the basil, walnuts or pine nuts, and garlic in a food processor and pulse to combine, until the mixture is coarsely ground.
- With the motor on, drizzle in the olive oil in a thin stream. Add the sea salt, pepper, lemon, and nutritional yeast, and pulse a few more times to combine. Taste and adjust the seasoning and nutritional yeast to taste.
- To assemble the salad toss the pearl barley with the chickpeas and the pesto, season to taste. Top with the roasted tomatoes, drizzle over a little of the roasting juices and top with a sprinkle of seed mix before serving.
- If you want you can seal in airtight container and it will keep for 3-5 days – it makes an excellent lunch!