This recipe was brought to us by one of our lovely Wantage customers. Originally created by her auntie. I love a good family recipe and can’t wait to try it!
- 250g cups of brown rice
- 500ml water
- 2 red peppers, diced
- 6 spring onions, diced
- 1 cup parsley
- 150g cashews ( roasted)
- 50g Sunflower seeds
- 120g currants
- 120ml Extra virgin olive oil
- 120ml lemon juice
- 120ml soy sauce
- 1 clove of crushed garlic
- 1 tsp of raw sugar
- Take a medium sized saucepan with a well-fitting lid, fill with rice and pour over the water.
- Bring to a rolling boil and then reduce the heat to a gentle simmer.
- Cook for 30 mins then turn off the heat and quickly cover with a lid and leave tightly covered for another 5-10 mins to absorb any remaining water then take of lid and set aside to cool.
- If you’d like to roast your own cashews this can be done while rice is cooking. Start by preheating the oven to 140C (fan) /160C / 325F /Gas 3.
- Season the cashew nuts with herbs and spices if you’d like, then spread the cashew nuts in a single layer on the roasting tray.
- Roast them for 12-15 min, stirring them twice during that time.
- Transfer in a single layer to a cool plate and let them cool down for about 15 mins to get cooler and crunchier.
- Once everything has cooled, combine dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Combine the dressing ingredients and pour over the rice mixture and stir until well coated.
- Serve and enjoy.